Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Homey don't play that

Back in May, Mah Rabu reported on a brewing minyan war in Philadelphia. We have received a clarification and update from one of the organizers:

Dear mahrabu,

After googling the group I started in Philly, B'Merkaz, I stumbled across your blog where you mentioned the "minyan war" in Philly, which made me laugh. Anyway, I thought I'd set the record straight and maybe have you post our info on your next blog??? Shortly after finding out that there was already Minyan Merkaz, those of us in B'Merkaz quickly voted and adopted a new name: Heymish (the Yiddish word for homey and intimate) to reflect the fact that we are a small group that meets in people's homes. Like Minyan Merkaz, we're egalitarian traditional, but also market ourselves as proudly queer-friendly (and are happily attracting many Jewish gays and lesbians who don't identify with Reform Judaism). Things are very amicable between Heymish and Minyan Merkaz. They've come to us and I go to them (I've even led services for them). For anyone who wants to learn more about us or get on our list, we have a Yahoo Group which is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/heymish/

Best,
Warren Hoffman


And they all lived happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment