Thursday, June 09, 2005

Yom Meyuchas

Today is Yom Meyuchas!!!

Rosh Chodesh Sivan is the 1st day of the month, and Shavuot is the 6th (now that we have our newfangled calendar in which Nisan is always 30 days and Iyar is always 29), and the sheloshet yemei hagbalah (three days leading up to Shavuot) are the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. So the 2nd of Sivan (today) is the day that connects Rosh Chodesh to the days of preparation for Shavuot.

Don't say Tachanun today.

Israel arrived at Sinai yesterday, and today is Moses's first trip up the mountain, when God said "You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to me. Now, if you really listen to my voice and keep my covenant, then you will be my possession among all the nations, for all the earth is mine. And you will be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation (mamlechet kohanim v'goi kadosh)."(Exodus 19:4-6)

Question for today as we prepare to receive Torah: What does it mean to listen to God's voice so as to be a mamlechet kohanim v'goi kadosh?

In addition to Yom Meyuchas, today is also Brooklyn-Queens Day, aka Anniversary Day. Celebrated since 1829, it is apparently the anniversary of the founding of the first Sunday School on Long Island. According to state law, schools in Brooklyn and Queens must close today. Those of us who teach at Manhattan high schools with city-wide student populations get to observe this day by listening to students from Brooklyn and Queens complaining about how their younger siblings get the day off but they have to go to school.

Anniversary Day (contrary to the link above) is the 1st or 2nd Thursday in June, whichever one is 10 days after Memorial Day. As far as I can tell, the same algorithm is also used to schedule Harvard Commencement, which is also today. Congratulations to the Class of 2005 on entering the fellowship of educated men and women.

1 comment:

  1. I should double-check the math, but I'm pretty sure that on yom meyuchas 5768 I turn 10000 days old.

    ReplyDelete