Sunday, March 12, 2006

Lema'an yezamercha chavod velo yidom

Purim, like other non-yom-tov holidays, isn't so convenient for working people. The last two years were nice, because Purim was on Sunday and Good Friday respectively, so I had the whole day off. This year I don't know whether I'll hear the megillah during the day.

Does anyone know of an egalitarian megillah reading anywhere in Manhattan (or downtownish Brooklyn) on Tuesday afternoon, starting after 3:30 PM? Failing that, I suppose I would be yotzei bedi'avad from a non-egalitarian reading; any suggestions in that realm? Alternatively, does anyone know of a megillah reading in the morning that would be finished by 8 AM? (Sunrise is at 6:11, so it's possible.) Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. There will be an egalitarian reading at the 7am morning minyan at Ansche Chesed (West End Ave & 100th St). I suspect they'll manage to finish the reading by 8, but I can't guarantee it. You might try calling the shul to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For real? I figured that shacharit itself (including Torah reading) would take at least 40 minutes. But that would be awesome if they could somehow finish it all by 8. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The man did say he was looking for an egal minyan...

    ReplyDelete