Sunday, September 02, 2012

בשעה טובה indeed

So I guess I haven't blogged here in almost 5 months.  There's a good excuse, but I suppose I owe the blog audience an explanation:  I've been taking care of a baby!  It's been going well, but as you probably realize, this is a pursuit that (especially when combined with a day job) leaves little time for blogging.

The timing of my son's birth was very on-point for this blog.  Mah Rabu has, in some years, blogged the omer, and he was born on the first night of the omer (ensuring that we kept track of his age in days for the first 7 weeks).  Mah Rabu has also featured an endless series of posts on 1-day vs. 2-day yom tov, and my son was born on a day that some considered yom tov and some didn't.  Mah Rabu ran several posts on birkat hachamah (back when it was in the news), and if my son had held out just a few minutes longer (and his mother is glad he didn't), he would have been born on April 8, ensuring that the first three birkot hachamah of his life would fall on his secular birthday.

So that's where I've been.  I won't make any promises right now about blogging in the immediate future -- I have a lot to say about parenting, but see above re: no time.  In the meantime, Segulah is doing Yom Kippur this year - will I see you there?

3 comments:

  1. Mazal Tov!

    I have come to a conclusions that is based purely on my own personal observations, but it seems correct. I have observed that middle aged and older people who have a relatively large number of children (i.e. more than the typical American Jewish family has which is 1-3) age more slowly, i.e. they look younger than other people of the same age who have the "normal" amount of children. This may seem suprising at the point of life you are at where raising kids seems to take a lot of energy out of you, but we have friends and neighbors in our community here in Israel who are grandparents yet who still have kids in elementary school and so they are still engaged in "young childrens" activities even as they are entering middle age and so I think this keeps them young at heart as well. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mazal tov, obviously belated :), and best of luck, health, wealth, etc. for you and your family. Bringing up baby is a real trip. With babies, you get no rest at night; with toddlers, who love doing adventuresome things such as running into the street, you get no rest during the day. :) But it's all worth it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Mazel Tov!!!
    Since you were my inspiration to start a blog while I was expecting baby number 3 ( who is now 8 months old) , I must tell you that you do get some of the time back eventually- so I look forward seeing more from you as your baby gets older and you get used to being a parent. And now you know why I don't post that often...
    Enjoy your baby- the blog can wait!

    ReplyDelete